The Interactive, Spirit@Work® Cards Mobile App
In 2002 Lance Secretan created Spirit@Work® Cards and Book. It consists of 77 cards, each containing a word representing the values and ideals of his world-renowned Higher Ground Leadership® philosophy. It also includes a book with 77 chapters matching and describing each of the cards, the words, and their meaning, as well as a poem written by Marie Knapp for each card, every one beautifully illustrated by David Rankine. The first version was a huge hit so we created a second-generation version which was met with even greater success.
We then created a free mobile app (available from the Google Play Store or iTunes store). The app has been so successful, it has been rebuilt three times. When the user shakes the phone, the deck is shuffled and a random card appears. By tapping the reverse of the card, a limited text description of the chosen card is revealed. The Spirit@Work® Cards mobile app is used in our weekly “Inspiration in the Cloud” zoom meetings.
SCAN THE QR CODE TO DOWNLOAD
The success of the free version caused us to create an expanded version and, for $9.99, users of the free app have the option to upgrade to the full version. When you unlock the full version, in addition to being able to browse all 77 cards these additional features can be accessed:
- Full chapter describing th meaning of every card using the original pages from the physical book
- Poems specifically written for each card by Marie Knapp, available in both text and audio format, with Lance Secretan reading each poem for you.
- A description of the meaning of the artwork, and the interpretation of the graphic symbolism for each card, by David Rankine, the artist who designed the beautiful artwork.
- Video interview with Lance Secretan and David Rankine, describing how the cards were created.
- Seven videos in which Lance Secretan explains how his famed CASTLE® Principles were developed and the meaning of each of them.
- A free copy of the book “What We Got Wrong About Business”, a compilation of 29 essays by 22 Pathfinders, edited by Lance Secretan,
- An opportunity to build a community with friends—users can invite friends to join so they can share their cards/words and experiences with each other. (Beta – coming soon).
- Store and record the cards you have shared with others in your community (Beta – coming soon).
- Store and record the cards you have received from others in your community (Beta – coming soon).
- Twelve “spreads” to guide your day, make decisions, and inspire your life
- Journal to store and record the card you select each day, its meaning for you and others, where you can record your notes about your learning and personal growth
- Create your own “To Do Today ” list, and—even more important—your “To BE Today” list.
- The option to share the card you have chosen on your social media platforms. (Upgrade coming soon).
The app is regularly upgraded, so please send your suggestions and your experiences to email@example.com. All users receive free updates to the app as they are added. Enjoy!
Inspiration in the Cloud
We have also created a sumptuous multimedia experience which includes a deep-dive, 2-3 minute, mini-seminar, for each of the words, including video, music, humor, famous quotes and Lance Secretan’s take on the meaning and implication of each word, delivered in his trademark, award-winning style (www.secretan.com/inspiration-cloud).
Groups of participants join a zoom call, and one participant shakes their phone and chooses a card on their mobile app. Lance Secretan then shares his screen, which reveals the same card chosen, enabling him to share the teaching and the visuals that go with the chosen card.
The person who chose the card may ask, “What does that card mean for me?”, or, “Am I able to practice this value day-to-day?”, “Does my leader practice this value?”, or, “Can I support others to grow their practice of this value?”, or, “Please share a great example of someone practicing, and living, this value”, etc. Other participants are then invited to share their experience with that card and its value. As a result, rich and inspiring conversations quickly gather momentum. Everyone participates in sharing and learning.
Effectively, this is improv. It turns the traditional method of teaching upside down, where an expert “talking head” shares their knowledge with participants in a one-way communication. In this case, it’s the opposite—the agenda is controlled by the participants who take the conversation in the direction of the card chosen, while sharing the wisdom that lies innately within them. It is a “Socratic” methodology. The natural wisdom within participants is always inspiring, and the speed at which topics of significant meaning are covered, enables a deep connection among participants. Sometimes we will discuss many cards, and on other occasions, only one. This all depends on the energy of the group, and the skill and intuition of the facilitator about where the conversation should be guided. But wherever the conversation goes, the essential element is inspiration. The goal, every time, is for everyone to leave the conversation more inspired than when they arrived, and also to gain some useful ideas about how they can live more inspired lives and how they can be more inspiring for others.